Nolan Road TR 6/17 July 15, 2018, 7:15pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Upstate NY Seadogs' Forum    General Boards    New Water Trips and Trip Reports  ›  Nolan Road TR 6/17
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Nolan Road TR 6/17  This thread currently has 295 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Benito Bonito
June 17, 2017, 9:12pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
A dead calm day mostly under gray skies produced a memorable paddle for the three of us. On the way to the usual lunch area near the dam we were surprised first by a tres chic lady kingfisher and second by a loon. After lunch a one-legged gbh all but posed for the camera, and near the end we passed a wily coyote.

Along the shore numerous patches of blue flag graced the setting, a particularly welcome sight to me. The tidal Hudson is beset with invasive yellow iris, very aggressive, all but crowding out the more attractive native.

A little late in the season for this location, but my take is it beats early April in a big way. I always associated this site with frigid water sending frost waves through the hull. Now I know it's warm & welcoming in June.

Dave & Mike, thanks for the pleasure of your company.

Attachment: seadogs_4601.jpg
Size: 323.92 KB

Attachment: kingfisher_3723.jpg
Size: 257.30 KB

Attachment: loon_3199.jpg
Size: 324.53 KB

Attachment: gbh_7840.jpg
Size: 257.72 KB

Attachment: blueflag_8268.jpg
Size: 199.39 KB

Attachment: coyote_4437.jpg
Size: 312.97 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message
Red Beard
June 18, 2017, 9:35am Report to Moderator
Big Member
my 1st paddle of the year was quite enjoyable,as Benito said the water was calm and warm,not to much traffic and many photo opps,  we even spotted a Loon, ,which Dave said is rare on this section of the Hudson ,we all missed paddling with more Sea Dogs,but  season has just begun,many thanks to Benito,and Ice  Breaker for an enjoyable day on the water  
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
Benito Bonito
June 18, 2017, 11:44am Report to Moderator

Big Member
A final item. We met many damselflies, several hitching lengthy rides on our boats. Appearance was dull, in part because of the cloudiness, but mainly because they lacked vivid coloration. Attached specimen has hardly any color at all. My guess is there was a very recent mass emergence of adults, identification at this point hopeless for me. I suspect the true colors will show in a few days.

Attachment: damselfly_292.jpg
Size: 172.20 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread